Setting locale for individual programs

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 14:33:38 UTC 2006

I send this message to both the Ubuntu and Kubuntu lists as I'm not
sure which is more appropriate. I've Ubuntu installed, and added KDE,
which I use instead of Gnome.

My locale is Hebrew, and I need all my GUI apps to be in Hebrew,
naturally. However, my command-line and development apps I need to be
in English, as the Hebrew support is very poor. The specific apps that
I want in English would be:
Kdevelop
Eclipse
make (when building from source in Konsole)

How do I configure these individual apps to use English as the default
language? More generally, how do I configure the system to tell
individual programs which locale to use? Some googling on the subject
makes me believe that ~/.profile is the fiel that does this, but I
have found no examples of targeting specific programs, and I don't
even ave the file to begin with! Does Ubuntu (Kubunut, Debian) use
this file? If not, then what replaces it?

Thank you.

Dotan Cohen
http://essentialinux.com