Compiling C in KDE

Marcus lists at wordit.com
Tue Jul 11 01:38:37 UTC 2006

Tuesday, July 11, 2006, 1:38:16 AM, you wrote:
Dotan> Unfortunatly: "The requested URL
Dotan> /thekompany/KDE_Studio/source/kdestudio-2.0.0.tar.gz was not found

Link rot, huh. Well, they have a newer IDE product called "Kode". They obviously forgot to remove the old product downloads. Kode looks very much like what you are after. It's also a multi-platform Qt app -- runs on Linux and Windows.

http://www.thekompany.com/products/kode/

I don't have any of the Kompany's desktop apps, but I do use their embedded apps on my Linux PDA, and those are very good. I checked the demo link, which is emailed to you. That one works.

Since you are used to a GUI IDE from Windows, I think you will prefer using Kate, or Kode. Traditionally, Nix programmers have used Vi and Emacs, afaik.

Using the text-based tools like Vi(m) or Emacs is a different world. They are very powerful, but I guess it's a matter of taste. Actually the Vi and Emacs folks are also in two separate camps, so there must be big differences. Emacs is like the kitchen sink, you can add all sorts of stuff. Some people live in Emacs and probably never venture onto a KDE or Gnome desktop at all. Can't you even run email and news through them? I wouldn't be  surprised if Emacs didn't have a web browser and coffee brewer extension :-)

Marcus