laptop-mode disabled in kernel?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Mon Jul 10 22:12:32 UTC 2006

In Dapper, my laptop fan never turns off after the first few minutes. It
is always on. Whereas, in Windows, it rarely comes on. I'm pretty sure
that this is because the disk never spins down.

In an effort to diagnose the problem, I thought to install laptop-mode.
However,
# laptop_mode start
returns that it is disabled - although not in what way. A look at
# cat /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
returns zero, which I understand means that laptop_mode is switched off
in the kernel.

I'm using the standard 386 kernel from the CD. Is there any point in
moving to the 686 kernel in an effort to fix this?

Back to the disk. There's only one active ext3 partition plus swap - all
other partitions are noauto. I've tried noatime and commit=600, but to
noavail. Any ideas?

--
Best,
Marc