VMWare in Kubuntu

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 05:57:38 UTC 2006

On 07/07/06, Tez <binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> If you really want to configure your virtual machine then I would
> suggest getting the vmware server, vmware player is really only for
> "playing" an already existing and configured "image" and can be
> difficult to configure.
>
> If you don't want to download the server then open the .vmx file (eg
> Windows.vmx),

I actually like editing config files by hand. Seems much more concrete.

> 1) Look for the line "Ethernet0.connectionType =" if it's not there you
> can just add it. you can change it to "nat" "hostonly" or "bridged" and
> include the quotes, eg.
>
> Ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"  (for it to share your IP, if your
> interface has a public ip for example)
> Ethernet0.connectionType = "hostonly"  (for a network with the host and
> client only)
> Ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"  (to setup the network in the
> client to add it to your LAN, acts just like if it was  physically
> connected)
>
> 2) Add the lines:
> usb.present = "TRUE"
> usb.generic.autoconnect = "FALSE"
> to the file, if not there

I tried that, and restarted the VMWare machine, but there is a driver
problem. I'm trying to connect an SD card via card reader, that works
on native XP and of course linux. When I reset the Virtual Machine
(from inside the menu) Kate informed me that the file on disk has been
changed, and the line usb.generic.autoconnect = "FALSE" has
disappeared. Should I readd it?

> then you'll be able to choose the device to
> connect on the top of the window under "removable devices" or similar.

Is this the line you're referring to?
usb.autoConnect.device0 = "path:3/5 autoclean:1"

What should I change it to? I know that my USB device is /dev/sda

> 3) To read from CD find/add the lines:
> ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
> ide1:0.fileName = "/dev/hdc"

Ah, this works because linux sees everything as a file? Thanks, it works.

> If you want to read from a device use:
> ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
>
> or from a image, use
> ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
>
> Dose that answer all your questions?

Pretty much, with the exeption of getting the USB working. Thank you!

Dotan Cohen
http://essentialinux.com