VMWare in Kubuntu

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 7 02:01:14 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Can I ask VMWare questions here? I installed via the instructions at:
>

> If so, then I have three questions:
> 1) How do I connect the Windows installation in VMWare to the internet?
> 2) How do I connect USB devices to Windows?
> 3) How do I read from CD in VMWare?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen

If you really want to configure your virtual machine then I would
suggest getting the vmware server, vmware player is really only for
"playing" an already existing and configured "image" and can be
difficult to configure.

If you don't want to download the server then open the .vmx file (eg
Windows.vmx),

1) Look for the line "Ethernet0.connectionType =" if it's not there you
can just add it. you can change it to "nat" "hostonly" or "bridged" and
include the quotes, eg.

Ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"  (for it to share your IP, if your
interface has a public ip for example)
Ethernet0.connectionType = "hostonly"  (for a network with the host and
client only)
Ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"  (to setup the network in the
client to add it to your LAN, acts just like if it was  physically
connected)

2) Add the lines:
usb.present = "TRUE"
usb.generic.autoconnect = "FALSE"
to the file, if not there, then you'll be able to choose the device to
connect on the top of the window under "removable devices" or similar.

3) To read from CD find/add the lines:
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "/dev/hdc"

If you want to read from a device use: