v6.06 CD installation problems

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Thu Jul 6 16:29:42 UTC 2006

Hi,

I already run Debian servers and Kubuntu - dual-booting with XP - on a
laptop and a desktop.

I've just tried to install the latest Kubuntu CD on a laptop and have a
few comments and issues.

First, the installation process only being possible from within a Live
CD boot is strange and a bit tedious. Why is there no install option
from the menu after booting?

Next, the disk setup process needs clearer descriptions to cover the
options. I had no problem doing a DIY, since I wanted to use an unused
Debian partition, but had I not known what I was being asked, then I
doubt that I could have understood it from the scribblings.

During the installation, at the 'Ready to install' stage, a message box
appears saying 'Scanning the mirror'. Some explanation might be useful
at this point. In any case, this step never got beyond 1%, and there are
no options present to cancel it. After a while I closed the box, at
which point, the only option is to cancel the installation - which is
kind of discouraging, since no feedback regarding any problem was
forthcoming.

So, all in all, a bit of a non-event, particularly when compared to my
just worked.

Nevertheless, I restarted the installation. The dialogue doesn't
remember the machine name, which is not cool, since it remembers other
info. Overlooking this would be a royal pain, since you'd likely end up
with an unwanted machine name, and probably have to scrub the install
and start again.

The same 'Scanning the mirror' box appeared and sat at 1% - I presume
that it wants an Internet connection, but nothing appeared to indicate
or request this.

So, what's the trick to install Kubuntu from the CD?

--
Best,
Marc