Installing from CD

gabrielle harrison and Paul van den Bergen gabpaul at melbpc.org.au
Wed Jul 5 09:48:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 15:40:15 +1000, Tez <binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:
>> Just a little FYI, I'll assume you are using the CDs from Ship-it.
>> The Ship-it CDs are desktop CDs.  They contain a lot of the packages
>> in compressed form in the squash-fs file system.  As such, IIUC, most
>> of those packages are not available as real packages to apt.  This
>> makes the desktop CD quite a bit less useful as an upgrade CD for an
>> existing installation.  If you really want an upgrade CD, the
>> alternate install CD would be *much* better.
>>
>> -Matt
>>

> The desktop CD's do have a complete apt repository on them as well as a
> squash-fs file with the packages "installed" so you can use the "desktop
> cd" as an apt cdrom just as well as the alternative cd.
>
> Tez

Well, either way, it seems to be getting _everything_ from the internet
and ignoring the CD.

I've done

Update manager -> upgrade

didn't know the CD was there. Aborted upgrade when it said 5 days
+ download
then I did

# apt-cdrom add
# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade

now it should know the CD is there but still only downloading from
internet - as far as i can tell.

also since tried adept updater, adept, update manager and synaptic....
  am I doing something wrong? Or is the software on the CD already
essentially out of date?

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Chance favours the prepared mind