Installing from CD

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Wed Jul 5 05:29:41 UTC 2006

gabrielle harrison and Paul van den Bergen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering why there is no clear upgrade from previous installation
> option on the CD?
>
> I tried to install from the CD last night... *shudder*. Granted it was
> too late at night and there was substantial
> PEBKAC.  My main problem was assuming the upgrade path would be
> obvious, but every path seemed to want to either ignore the CD or
> write over the existing system.
>
> When I finally gave up and RTFM - well, googled for upgrade from CD -
> try it and see how long it takes to find the right page - I still
> couldn't make sense of the instructions...
>
> It's OK now.. I wisely abandoned the machine over night. Now I can see
> what is required.
>
> Still, it seems awfully awkward way to do an upgrade...
>
> Heres what it looks like from my point of view.
> 1) decide to wait for the CD in the mail because you have dialup
> 2) work out how to back up your system - don't ask.
> 3) try and install by booting from the CD - no (obvious) upgrade option
> 4) try upgrading from the Update Manager - fine, but ignores the CD.
> 5) search for the method on the ubuntu site - kinda lost for a
> while... then it turns out all I really need to do is add the CD using
> apt-cdrom add....
>
> so the question is, if the only additional step to upgrading using the
> CD is that one action, why was it not paert of the standard CD install
> options?
>

> Yes, I know I'm whining... but I'm acting like a windows user for the
> sake of making a point...

Just a little FYI, I'll assume you are using the CDs from Ship-it.  The
Ship-it CDs are desktop CDs.  They contain a lot of the packages in
compressed form in the squash-fs file system.  As such, IIUC, most of
those packages are not available as real packages to apt.  This makes
the desktop CD quite a bit less useful as an upgrade CD for an existing
installation.  If you really want an upgrade CD, the alternate install
CD would be *much* better.

-Matt