Installing from CD

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 5 05:06:25 UTC 2006

gabrielle harrison and Paul van den Bergen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering why there is no clear upgrade from previous installation
> option on the CD?
>
> I tried to install from the CD last night... *shudder*. Granted it was
> too late at night and there was substantial
> PEBKAC.  My main problem was assuming the upgrade path would be
> obvious, but every path seemed to want to either ignore the CD or
> write over the existing system.
>
> When I finally gave up and RTFM - well, googled for upgrade from CD -
> try it and see how long it takes to find the right page - I still
> couldn't make sense of the instructions...
>
> It's OK now.. I wisely abandoned the machine over night. Now I can see
> what is required.
>
> Still, it seems awfully awkward way to do an upgrade...
>
> Heres what it looks like from my point of view.
> 1) decide to wait for the CD in the mail because you have dialup
> 2) work out how to back up your system - don't ask.
> 3) try and install by booting from the CD - no (obvious) upgrade option
> 4) try upgrading from the Update Manager - fine, but ignores the CD.
> 5) search for the method on the ubuntu site - kinda lost for a
> while... then it turns out all I really need to do is add the CD using
> apt-cdrom add....
>
> so the question is, if the only additional step to upgrading using the
> CD is that one action, why was it not paert of the standard CD install
> options?
>

> Yes, I know I'm whining... but I'm acting like a windows user for the
> sake of making a point...
>

> --Dr Paul van den Bergen

Because that is the install cd, the only reason your supposed to boot
from it is when you want to install ubuntu.
If you just want to update you should just add the CD to the sources
"apt-cdrom add" and that is documented in the help and wiki,
but, yeah, there could be some info on the CD installer about upgrading
as now the install CD is the LiveCD, some/most people will want to use
the LiveCD to preview Dapper. Maybe something to consider for Edgy (6.10)?

Tez