How to connect to internet without router?

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Tue Jul 4 14:51:26 UTC 2006

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> writes:

> In any case, is there no way for a Kubuntu machine to connect to the
> internet via a standard external modem, be it cable or [a]DSL? Even

If you have a "modem" that requires MSFT sign-on software, then
you probably should start writing your Dear John letter explaining
why you're moving to DSL.

When I had cable (before I noticed their indemnity clause), the
installer set the modem up with his Win laptop, checked operation, and
then connected up my internal cables, and left.  After I figured out
that he put the TV filter on the PC cable, and fixed that, I just
used DHCP with it, with no more trouble.

With a standard DSL setup, the modem contains a router, etc.  You talk
to it with a web browser, and it's very configurable, setting the
name/password, etc.  I set mine to show my system a fixed IP address
10.x.x.x and get on the Internet with just: ifconfig eth# 10.x.x.4;
route add default gw 10.x.x.2

I suggest finding the docs for your modem and see what it offers.  I
know my cable modem had many features that I could and did ignore.