How to connect to internet without router?

Scott Kitterman kubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Jul 3 16:44:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 00:44:04 +0300 "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com>
wrote:
>I want to try to connect to the 'net without using my router. These
>are the settings (fro mthe router):
>WAN Type: L2TP
>IP Mode: Dynamic IP Address
>Server IP Address: Lns4.actcom.net.il
>L2TP Account: etycot at CActcom
>L2TP Password: SecretPassword
>
>How do I enter that info into Kubuntu so that Kubuntu will connect? Thanks.
>
>Dotan Cohen
>http://what-is-what.com

This isn't exactly an answer to your question, but it may be a solution to
your original problem...

IIRC,	your setup is something like:

pc --> router --> modem* --> internet

*I don't recall if you have DSL or cable, but I don't think it matters.

In most setups, the modem will use NAT (network address translation) and
DHCP to automatically assign a private IP address to whatever devices are
assigned to it.  Your router will also probably use NAT/DHCP for devices
connected to it.  So, from an address perspective the setup is:

pc --> NAT --> NAT --> internet

About the kindest thing you can say about NAT from a design perspective is
that it's  useful hack.  Earlier this year I resolved some long standing
packet loss problems I had be getting rid of this layered NAT architecture
and just having one level of NAT.

What I was able to do is put my cable modem in bridge mode and assigned a
public IP address to my router.  Unless you have multiple public IP
accounts, you won't be able to do it this way.  What you would need to try
is setting your router up as a bridge so that the modem is the only
DHCP/NAT running.

Consult your router documentation or tech support on how to do this.

HTH,

Scott K