Make and C compiler

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Sun Jul 2 18:43:12 UTC 2006

Asima Abhishek wrote:
> I just installed the kubuntu on my computer and I do not see any
> 'make' application on it. I tried to install GNU make but that
> requires a C compiler and I do not see (so does the make's configure
> script) any C compiler also. To install a C compiler I need the 'make'
> and to install the 'make' I need a C compiler and both are not there.
>
> Please help.

You need to install the build-essential packages.

Either browse through Adept to find it, or type 'sudo apt-get install
build-essential' on the command line.

For future reference, most things in (K)Ubuntu can be installed through
the package manager.  Adept is a graphical front end to apt which is a
set of command line utilities.  I would recommend searching the package
manager before trying to install things using the compiler/downloads off
the web.  Using the package manager has the added benefit of installing
all the dependencies of the program you are installing also.

-Matt