Installing fierefox 1.5 in Kubuntu 6.06

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Sun Jul 2 17:28:48 UTC 2006

On Saturday 01 July 2006 03:21, Matthew Kuiken wrote:
> Are you still using 5.10?  I ask because the firefox package in 6.06
> does not use mozilla-firefox anymore.  If you are using a 5.10 system, I
> agree with your install entirely.

Right.  Yes I am.

> On 6.06, it makes much more sense to install from the repos.  I also use
> the extension manager directly.  Extensions are not part of the Ubuntu
> packaging system, so the updates to extensions are not done through
> Ubuntu security.  The extensions are also contained in your home
> directory, so are able to be updated by firefox.  Since the executable
> is in the /usr tree, it is not able to be updated by a normal user, thus
> firefox cannot update itself unless it is run as root - not a good
> idea...  The package manager handles those updates well.

I don't know.  It is a bridge I'll have to cross when I upgrade.  I figure
most of the bigger bugs will be out by August.  This is a production machine,
and I've had good luck waiting 2-3 months post release before upgrading.

I don't like the way the Debian package system handles Mozilla stuff.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.
Info @