how to disable media:/ feature?

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Tue Jan 31 15:13:03 UTC 2006

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Claudia Ringwald wrote:
>
>> Am Montag, 30. Januar 2006 14:16 schrieb Donatas G.:
>>> I would guess a problem like this would be on a priority list for KDE
>>> 3.5.1 bugfix release, which is to come soon, so perhaps I have just a
>>> few days to wait for the solution. However, I am impatient to know, if
>>> there is any progress on it...
>> I have 3.5.1 installed (it is already in the repositories - just take a
>> look at kubuntu.org/packages) BUT I have still a (my) problem with meda:/
>>
>> I have a floppy shown there - and clicking on it mounts the inserted
>> floppy - but then the displayed folder (media:/fd0) shows nothing. The
>> floppy ist mounted to /media/floppy0 - but this folder does not exist in
>> media.
>
> It's hard to say if it's correct without knowing what your floppy device is
> like, but folders won't exist until the corresponding /dev node is created
> - ie, if you don't have a permanently attached floppy drive you won't
> always have a folder in /media.
>
> Do you have an entry for the floppy in /etc/fstab?  If so, I'd remove it...

I have tried it in many different ways, both having and not having
entries in /etc/fstab , both having and not having folder /media/fd0
created... I have the same problem as Claudia. The floppy does get
mounted, and you can see it when you go /media/fd0/ , but media:/fd0
shows nothing at the same time.

I have read so many threads in Ubuntu forums regarding this problem,
that I would ask it this way:

COULD ANYBODY CONFIRM THAT THEY HAVE THE MEDIA:/ THING WORKING CORRECTLY
WITH FLOPPIES, CD'S, DVD'S AND FLASH STICKS?

As far as I am concerned, this media:/ malfunction breakes a lot of
functionality in KDE. IT IS A HIGH PRIORITY BUG TO FIX.

dONATAS