Giving myself authorization as other users

Merv Curley mcurley at eol.ca
Wed Jan 18 18:08:25 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 00:28, tudza wrote:
> I installed Tor using the Adept package manager tools.  No problems
> with the install.
>
> I tried to run Tor from the command line and was warned that user
> (1000) did not have such priveleges.  So, I did kdesu tor, which
> warned me that user (0) did not have the correct privileges.
>
> I saw the problem was that neither my user nor the one kdesu acts
> as (I'd have said root, but it doesn't let me do things that root
> ought to be able to do on all occassions) were the owners of the
> Tor stuff, but rather debian-tor was.
>
> I took the crude approach and just sought out all Tor stuff and
> made it my own.  I would have prefered to run it as user debian-tor
> since that is what the Tor people suggest, but I couldn't figure
> out how to do that.  I must not have hit on the correct variation
> of su debian-tor or whatever or not known what the default password
> for such a user might be.
>
> What should I have done?

Root is user 0  and it doesn't exist in the default Kubuntu install.

One thing you can do,  give root a password and you will have a normal
working Linux system.  [kdesu passwd root]

su -  in a Konsole or virtual screen gives you root priviliges.

Does that solve the problem?

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont.Can