kde update notifier

James Paterson jamespaterson at clear.net.nz
Tue Jan 17 02:29:01 UTC 2006

Scott wrote:

> Alessandro Pironi wrote:
>

>> How can i know when an update is available? Should i remember to
>> manually perform an apt-get upgrade every day or every week?
>

> Sure why not? :-)  Linux users have been doing this for years.
>
> A couple of times each day I
>
> $ sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> Lately I'm doing that 4 or 5 times a day as I've been running Dapper
> which has constant updates.
> It's quick and easy regardless.  I guess I'm just used to doing it.
> Often times update manager "comes alive" after I've done an apt-get
> update.  I ignore it and stick with the command line.

I got 5.10 going on my dell laptop and some kde from 5.04 But not the
KDE xwindows.  The upgrade notifier (not sure which) said there were
lots of upgrades and after downloading and installing them my winmodem
will not work as there is no dev/modem  and no dev/ttySSH0 so I need to
reinstall the ubuntu winmodem package.  I also get error messages from
synaptic package manager on most installs a log.htm does not exist.  The
winmodem is only 14.4 so I do not want to be downloading too much stuff
though my machine can be downloading overnight while I am at my night
job and while I sleep.

Wondering if the using apt get would be less problematic?  Also how
often I might have to
reinstall the modem if I download a load.

best James Paterson