Slow Boot

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Tue Jan 17 01:50:04 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 12:33, Allen Freeman wrote:
> But enough of that wandering about. Let's get to the point. When I boot
> Kubuntu, the boot 'stalls' at:
>
> Configuring Network Interfaces...
> Waiting for Network Interface to come up...
>
> for about 3 and a half minutes. I'm wondering what, exactly, it's doing.
> When I installed Kubuntu I did have the ethernet cable plugged in and I did
> set up the ethernet network, as well as the WiFi card. Is it trying to
> activate the ethernet network?
>
> I'd like to be able to boot into Kubuntu when I use the laptop for school,
> but a 4 minute boot is unacceptable. What do I do about this?

Remove the ethernet (cable) interface from the "auto" line
in /etc/network/interfaces or use whatever GUI tool to make the ethernet
cable not start automatically.

You can leave the interface configured, but you'll have to start it manually:
sudo ifup eth?

Where eth? is the Ethernet (cable) interface.

Cheers,

James
--
Sattinger's Law: