Trying to add the KDE desktop

Old Rocker old.rocker at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 21:57:34 GMT 2006

On Monday 16 Jan 2006 16:21, Jose Medeiros wrote:

> Quick question for all you Linux and KDE Guru's. I installed Ubuntu
> on my AMD 64 CPU using 5.10 and I am trying to add the KDE desktop
> using the following commands, any ideas why it is not finding the
> correct package?

As others have said, you need to uncomment the universe repositories in
your sources.list and then apt-get will find it.

My advice is to be sure you've got aptitude and use that instead of
apt-get, but that's only my preference (at one time Debian said that
aptitude handled dependencies better than apt-get, but you can always
use apt-get instead of aptitude in the following).

This is what I'd do (in a terminal):

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude kdebase kde
sudo aptitude kubuntu-desktop

which should give you a full KDE system, but check through synaptic if
there's anything you want that isn't installed (I find I have to
manually install Koffice) and the British international language pack.

Stay with it as its installed because you are generally asked to
indicate which desktop manager you want.  By default, gdm is installed
as its the Gnome desktop manager, but I find that kdm (the KDE desktop
manager is better if your regular desktop is KDE.

Don't forget to run Kappfinder afterwards, then do:

sudo aptitude upgrade

then

sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

neither of which should be necessary but they'll install any updated
dependencies.
--

Old Rocker