What's a "Desktop?"

Kelly L. Fulks kfulks at knology.net
Sat Jan 14 17:56:43 GMT 2006

Bruce,
The Desktop directory is in a Directory (or Folder) named Desktop in your home
directory.  So if you wanted to grep -i "charlie" it would be in
~/Desktop/<filename>.

I understand what you are saying in one sense.  However, a common lingo
between operating environments (meaning windows, kde, gnome, etc.) is a good
thing as it makes talking to others easier.  It will also ease the transition
of new users to new environments.

I personally cut my teeth on computing using OS-9 by Microware.  It was quite
Unix like in nature.  I moved to MS-DOS for a short period of time and then
went into the Unix world on DECStations, SparcStations, Irix, Convex, Cray,
etc.  I discovered Linux in 1993 and loaded it up on my PC and have been
using it as much as possible since then.  I do have to live with Windows
often times at work, but using a common terminology it isn't too difficult.

My filesystem comments were a bit sarcastic and probably uncalled for.  But it
seems that a lot of folks want Linux to be completely different from Windows.
I would prefer to see them use some things in common (lingo, somewhat the
look, etc.) so that I can wean people off Windows and on to Linux without
them hardly noticing.  As long as the security and stability aren't
sacrificed in the process.

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account