Remote Desktop over VPN

James Gray james at
Thu Jan 12 07:15:49 GMT 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:32, Senectus . wrote:
> On 1/12/06, James Gray <james at> wrote:
> > What happens when you do this?
> > $traceroute <ip-on-other-side-of-pptp-tunnel>
> >
> > If you don't have traceroute installed, "sudo apt-get install
> > traceroute".
> Just out of interest, does tracert work over a Linux VPN?
> I know in a windows world it normally doesn't..

It does on my PPTP-based VPN back to my office using Kubuntu.  Depends a lot
on how the tunnel is set up.  The VPN server/concentrator you "dial" into
may reject certain ICMP packets which could prevent traceroute from

So in those cases I use "tcptraceroute" as it uses TCP packets (not ICMP).
Provided you use a port that isn't blocked, it should always succeed,
assuming there are no network problems.  eg,
$tcptraceroute 80

Will try to trace to on port 80.  Provided that IP has port 80 open,
you will see the path all the way through.

VPN's aren't anything "special" - they are just a virtual link tunnelled
through another link.  Usually the virtual link is encrypted but it's
fundamentally not all that different to normal layer 2 encapsulation

Be not anxious about what you have, but about what you are.
		-- Pope St. Gregory I