Remote Desktop over VPN

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Thu Jan 12 07:15:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:32, Senectus . wrote:
> On 1/12/06, James Gray <james at grayonline.id.au> wrote:
> > What happens when you do this?
> > $traceroute <ip-on-other-side-of-pptp-tunnel>
> >
> > If you don't have traceroute installed, "sudo apt-get install
> > traceroute".
>
> Just out of interest, does tracert work over a Linux VPN?
> I know in a windows world it normally doesn't..

It does on my PPTP-based VPN back to my office using Kubuntu.  Depends a lot
on how the tunnel is set up.  The VPN server/concentrator you "dial" into
may reject certain ICMP packets which could prevent traceroute from
working.

So in those cases I use "tcptraceroute" as it uses TCP packets (not ICMP).
Provided you use a port that isn't blocked, it should always succeed,
assuming there are no network problems.  eg,
$tcptraceroute 1.2.3.4 80

Will try to trace to 1.2.3.4 on port 80.  Provided that IP has port 80 open,
you will see the path all the way through.

VPN's aren't anything "special" - they are just a virtual link tunnelled
through another link.  Usually the virtual link is encrypted but it's
fundamentally not all that different to normal layer 2 encapsulation
techniques.

Cheers,

James
--
Be not anxious about what you have, but about what you are.
		-- Pope St. Gregory I