DSL Problem

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Fri Jan 6 00:03:20 UTC 2006

Richard Reyes wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Good Day.
>
>Newbie Question.
>
>I have a DSL working in windows. Its using DHCP or something but there
>was an error getting IP from the network. The customer support had to
>give me the ip address so i can connect from inside windows.
>
>Now I have succesfully setup the latest Kubuntu ( Breezy ) in my
>laptop. I have set the same IP address I am using in windows for the
>DSL connection. But I still have no connection.
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Richard

A lot of DSL problems can be solved by installing rp-pppoe.  That is,
Roaring Penguin Point-to-point Protocol over Ethernet.  It's in the
repositories.  When it installs, go through the setup script which
should automatically run.  If it doesn't, type 'sudo adsl-setup' to
configure.  Then, to bring it up, type 'sudo adsl-start' and to bring it
down, type 'sudo adsl-stop'.  'sudo adsl-status' gives you essentially
the same info as ifconfig.

PPPoE is not quite the same as DHCP.  The default tools Ubuntu installs
-- at least in the days of Warty when I last tried them -- don't work
with most US DSL providers.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c