Setting up Printers

bruce bbales at cox.net
Tue Jan 3 03:28:32 GMT 2006

On Monday 02 January 2006 19:15, Art Alexion wrote:
> bruce wrote:
> >I, too have been having a setup problem with an HP printer, the
> > psc1315. I go through all the installation:
> >
> >install python-dev
> >install libsnmp5-dev
> >install libcupsys2-dev
> >install python-qt3
> >install lsb
> >Install hplip - then:
> ># /etc/init.d/hplip restart
> ># /etc/init.d/cups restart
> >
> >Everything looks good so far.  Then
> >http://localhost:631 brings up the cups page, and shows the psc1315
> > as default printer and the instruction  "If you are asked for a
> > username and password, enter your login username and password or
> > the "root" username and password."
> >
> >The  password box has a default username of "cupsys."  if I change
> > the name to my username of root and user the appropriate password
> > it fails.
> >
> >The printer will accept print jobs, but they just pile up in a queue
> > and can't even be canceled or removed.
> >
> >Of course the printer works with windows.
> >
> >sure would appreciate some help.
> >bruce
>
> Here's my setup:
>
> DeskJet-820C
> HP DeskJet 820C Foomatic/pnm2ppa (recommended)
> URI: ipp://rodney(localhost):631/printers/DeskJet-820C
> Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
> Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0

The PSC1300 series printers are usb, not parallel.

> If you don't want to use the kde tool to set it up fire up konqueror,
> go to http://localhost:631 where you get a nice interface for
> configuring CUPS printers.

This is where my problem is -- using http://localhost:631 , cups wants a
username and password and I can't supply it.  One place it says
"Authentication - KDE Daemon -- Authentication failed"  What is a KDE
Daemon?

> Now that this has come up, I remember previous discussions/complaints
> that the foomatic drivers were the only ones that worked and that
> they weren't installed by default.  Download them if you have to.

I have a lot of foomatic stuff; most of it ends with .xml.  Could that
be the drivers?  One is HP-PSC_1310.xml.