Poor Verdana Font Quality

Vayu vayu at sklinks.com
Thu Dec 28 07:46:16 UTC 2006

I think it's a common custom to use anti-alias on larger font sizes and
turn it off for smaller sizes. Your screen shot looks like your font
size is large enough to be anti-aliased. There are several articles on
setting your .fonts.conf file (in your home directory) on the ubuntu
forums. There are other things like sub-pixel rendering and hinting that
you can address too.

Here's mine, which is much simpler these days. I have AA always on. I
used to turn it off for a certain size or below. I used to set
attributes for specific fonts and weights. With Dapper and Beryl my
fonts are finally looking almost as good as Cleartype on Windows.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<match target="font" >
<edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
<const>none</const>