Printing pictures

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Dec 23 01:28:06 UTC 2006

On Friday 22 December 2006 7:53 pm, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> In Ubuntu / Kubuntu, what program do you recommend for printing
> pictures. e.g. If I have a jpg taken from my digital camera (I use a
> flash card reader) and want to print it to a 4x6 (possibly without white
> margins) on my HP 5440, what is the best package for this?

Probably the best thing is KPrinter.  Be sure to click the "Properties"
button, and play with the settings on the "Images" tab to try to get the best
results.

The best isn't that good, in my opinion, but it's better than anything else
I've tried.  Many people recommend using the GIMP to print, but I've never
been able to figure out how to get that to work for anything that isn't on
the list in the GIMP, and it doesn't include any printer or anything close to
any printer I've ever tried to use, and if there are any clear instructions
that make perfect sense, they're well disguised.

Printing photos is a bit of a trouble spot for Linux as far as I can see.
Maybe someone will make both of us a better suggestion.

In the meantime, I do all my photo printing with commercial services.

--
D. Michael McIntyre