VNC Question

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 03:40:34 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 2:01 pm, Edmund Laugasson wrote:
> > The question is, how can I get it to open, or be able to open this port?
>
> I suggest the VNC server, what I use personally and which works in every
> Linux and other UNIX-like systems - x11vnc.
>
> I wrote an article for that - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/x11vnc
>
> Hope it helps.
>

> There is also program called rfb (sudo apt-get install rfb).
>
> You may also want to read it -
> http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/x0.html
>
> More reading:
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Legacy_Microsoft/vnc-and-similar.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc

Sorry, but no.  Not one of those tells my why VNC was working just fine under
Dapper, but now under edgy I get crap.

Why is vnc looking for "/etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy" when the xserver
directory doesn't even exist?
Why can't vnc create the desktop on :1 like it used to?
I'm just not getting why I'm not required to spend days to figure out what
just worked in the previous version.

The errors I get above are still what I get.

I don't understand why we couldn't have kept vnc as easy to use in Edgy as it
was in Dapper.
IN Dapper all I had to do was:
vncserver -geometry 1024x768
Then from another machine: