question on dual monitors?

Edmund Laugasson ed.lau at mail.ee
Wed Dec 20 17:11:46 UTC 2006

> For all ATI cards, open a console, and type the command:
>
> fglrxinfo

also if you use ATI driver from Ubuntu repositories, you may type:

aticonfig

For more information about config and usage:

aticonfig --help

If you want to run config from beginning, you may want to run:

aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Here you just show, where the X configuration file is located. I suggest
at first backup the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf before changing it. If
something goes wrong - you can easily restore old one to get X work at all.

I tried ATI driver also from ATI's webpage but it didn't work. But
driver from Ubuntu repository - it worked. Unfortunately I have not
tried dual monitor setup, because I do not need it.

To install ATI driver in Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx-control

It asks password, which is the password of logged in user.

Useful commands for command line usage, using ATI driver to test working
3D acceleration and animation:

fgl_glxgears
fglrxinfo
fglrx_xgamma