question on dual monitors?

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 19 23:21:57 UTC 2006

I just went through weeks long troubleshooting with video cards and dual
monitors starting with Dapper then on Edgy.  If you have a laptop (or
desktop) with ATI Xpress 200M--apparently a fairly common card--then you will
need to go through some steps.

With ATI Xpress 200M: If you are running Dapper, you must download and compile
ATI fglrx driver ver 8.24.8.  If you are running Edgy, then you must download
and compile ver. 8.32.5.  Other versions/distribution combinations will not
run properly.

For all ATI cards, open a console, and type the command:

fglrxinfo

If you get ATI information, you are good to go--if you get VESA information,
then your fglrx driver is not installed properly.

For ATI users, fglrx must be installed and working properly to enable full
dual monitor capabilities.  Even after that, the ATI control panel may not
operate properly, you may have to manually configure xorg.conf as I have
done.  For the several options that exist for dual monitor setup, depending
upon your hardware, start with this thread:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221174

If you need to discuss ATI Xpress 200M video cards more, I will be happy to
walk you through it--I've done it twice now--painful for a new linux user.

Larry Hartman