problems w/ sound on Kubuntu (edgy)

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Tue Dec 19 14:14:54 UTC 2006

Thanks so much for your quick response and help, IRC is blocked here at
work :(

jjesse at jjesse-laptop:~$ ps -ef | grep arts
jjesse    4737  4695  0 08:12 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/artsd -F 10 -S
4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -c drkonqi -l 3 -f
jjesse    5844  5720  0 09:05 pts/1    00:00:00 grep arts
jjesse at jjesse-laptop:~$

Under System Settings -> Sound -> Hardware the audio device is set to
Autodetect, which I haven't made any changes to that I'm aware of.  Should
I try one of the other drop down selections?  Also I noticed this section
doesn't have an Adminstrator section that gives me root access shouldn't
there be???

Thanks again,

Jonathan
> Darn, the drivers are there ok!
> Can you 'ps -ef | grep arts', please?
> Maybe also check in System Settings -> Sound (or whatever it's called)
> what you are using as backend (ALSA, OSS, Arts, ...).
>
> Hervé.
>
> On 12/19/06, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at iserv.net> wrote:
>> jjesse at jjesse-laptop:~$ sudo lsmod | grep snd
>> snd_atiixp             21388  0
>> snd_atiixp_modem       17800  0
>> snd_ac97_codec         97696  2 snd_atiixp,snd_atiixp_modem
>> snd_ac97_bus            3456  1 snd_ac97_codec
>> snd_pcm_oss            47360  0
>> snd_mixer_oss          19584  1 snd_pcm_oss
>> snd_pcm                84612  4
>> snd_atiixp,snd_atiixp_modem,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
>> snd_timer              25348  1 snd_pcm
>> snd                    58372  7
>> snd_atiixp,snd_atiixp_modem,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
>> soundcore              11232  1 snd
>> snd_page_alloc         11400  3 snd_atiixp,snd_atiixp_modem,snd_pcm
>> jjesse at jjesse-laptop:~$

>> > Maybe shutdown completely and boot again might do it?

>> > This should give you all relevant sound modules loaded on your system:
>> > sudo lsmod | grep snd

>> > Indeed this is weird.
>> >
>> > Also, can you give us the output of lspci and lsusb, so we can find
>> > out which drivers to load?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Hervé.
>> > --