Compiling drivers

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Tue Dec 19 03:55:45 UTC 2006

On Monday 18 December 2006 11:18 am, Hervé Fache wrote:

> P.S.: Renaud, could you please let us know what hardware is not
> supported out of the box by Edgy on your motherboard?

Now that he's said he's trying to follow the instructions packaged with the CD
that came with his motherboard, I'm really curious about this too.  My own
experience has been that these module sources that come with bits of hardware
are usually just an invitation to waste a lot of time building an old version
of a driver that was long since incorporated into the kernel tree, and
already exists, ready to modprobe and go.

I hate out of date and/or situation-inappropriate documentation.  It's the
bane of Linuxdom.  So many hapless folks lead into torment for no good reason
at all.  I've been the tormentee on many occasions.

--
D. Michael McIntyre