k3b permissions error

mattflaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Dec 17 02:30:42 UTC 2006

Derek Broughton-2 wrote:

> When k3b says it can't open the device, click on the "Show debugging
> output"
> button - it's usually pretty obvious there what the problem is.
> --
> derek

Yes, that's what finally worked for me.  In my case, I didn't have
permissions for /dev/sg0 .  I solved that elegantly (in my view) by creating
a burning group (as recommended by K3B):

$ sudo addgroup burning

Adding myself to it:

$ sudo usermod -a -G burning matthew

and setting the group of /dev/sg0 to burning:

$ sudo chgrp burning /dev/sg0

Then, if I want to give someone the ability to burn CDs, I can just do:

$sudo usermod -a -G burning someone