Midnight Commander session in Konsole as root

claydoh claydoh at claydoh.com
Sat Dec 16 22:51:51 GMT 2006

On Saturday 16 December 2006 11:40 am, Garry Knight wrote:
> If I select "New Root Midnight Commander" in mc's Session menu, a shell
> opens in a new tab, asking for a password. I enter the password (at the
> moment, my user password is the same as root's), mc thinks about it for a
> second or two, then the tab closes. In other words, no root mc session.
> Of course, I can just start a new root shell and enter 'mc', but that
> defeats the object of having it in the session list (not to mention the
> extra typing).
> I'm using Midnight Commander 4.6.1, Konsole 1.6.5, KDE 3.5.5, Kubuntu 6.06
> LTS, if it makes a difference.
> --
> Garry Knight
> garryknight at gmx.net

Actually, the session menu is Konsole's, and you can easily fix this.
Open a konsole, go to Settings - Configure Konsole, then click on the Session
tab. Select 'Root Midnight Commander', and in the 'Execute' section, replace
the command there with 'sudo mc' (no quotes).

Click 'Save Session' then 'Apply' and it should work

Clay Weber