Strange behaviour

Scott Mazur kubuntulists at littlefish.ca
Wed Dec 13 14:09:03 UTC 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:52:07 -0300, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote
> On a freshly installed 6.06 Kubuntu:
>
> When I start a graphical app from the konsole, I get the following
> error messages in the console before the prog starts:
>
> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
>   Major opcode:  144
>   Minor opcode:  3
>   Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
>   Major opcode:  144
>   Minor opcode:  3
>   Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
>
> I had a look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf where I was surprised to fid the
> following, given I have a bog-standard keyboard and (serial) mouse,
>  but nothing like those:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Driver "wacom"
>   Identifier "stylus"
>   option "Device" "/dev/wacom"# Change to
>   option "Type" "stylus"
>   option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
>   # /dev/input/event
>   # for USB
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Driver "wacom"
>   Identifier "eraser"
>   option "Device" "/dev/wacom"# Change to
>   option "Type" "eraser"
>   option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
>   # /dev/input/event
>   # for USB
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Driver "wacom"
>   Identifier "cursor"
>   option "Device" "/dev/wacom"# Change to
>   option "Type" "cursor"
>   option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
>   # /dev/input/event
>   # for USB
> EndSection
>
> Would these devices be the cause of the error messages I am getting ?
>
> Can I remove those entries, or is there a risk of finding myself
> without X11 ?

The curse of the wacom.  Interesting choice of kubuntu to default this into
the Xconfig, I'm sure the world must just be full of wacom tablet users
flocking to Kubuntu...

You can safely remove these "InputDevice" entries.  When you do, also look for
the section "ServerLayout" and remove the respective 'stylus', 'cursor' and
'eraser' from there as well.

Scott

--
Registered Linux user #395249, http://counter.li.org
Nothing goes to waste when Little Fish are near!