Root login

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Mon Dec 11 17:17:52 UTC 2006

Sorry, Tez, I don't mean to be difficult.  I LIKE sudo most of the time,
but...

On Thursday 07 December 2006 16:48, Tez wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 December 2006 09:03, Raphaƫl Pinson wrote:

> >> `sudo -i` and `sudo -s` provide you a root console that lets you use
> >> this program just the same as if you were logged as user root.
> >
> > So if you get a root console, with all of its insecurities, why is doing
> > it that way better than just su?
>
> Because,
> 1) only members of the adm group can get a root shell and

And how is this different/better than only giving admins the root password?

> 2) you don't have to give out a root password for more than 1 user to
> run privileged commands.

And letting people use their own password to perform root activities is more
secure than restricting who gets a password because ... ?

I like sudo.  I find it easier than su -c.  I also feel that those who play
loose with root logins are asking for trouble.  Root security is not just
about multiple users; its about being careful about running certain
potentially damaging commands.  That said, I don't understand the religious
zeal that people have about sudo, pro or con.

Typing sudo just ain't that big a deal most of the time for sudo haters, and
having to get and use a separate root password can't be less secure than
using the same one for everything.

> Tez

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net