Movies and Sound freezes in Firefox

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Mon Dec 11 08:11:37 UTC 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 03:39, neil.linux wrote:
> I'm using Kubuntu Edgy as a clean install with all repositories
> (main, restricted, universe, multiverse) for the edgy main,
> edgy-backports, edgy-security and edgy-proposed  and the extras
> found using Automatix and Easy Ubuntu.
> I'm using ALSA sound on a Intel IC5/ICH5R AC'97 Audio Controller
> sound card. My video card is an ATI Radion 9200 Pro (RV280) using
> the ATI driver installed as the default.
>

> My problem is that embedded movies streamed over the Internet
> freeze after the first 15 to 30 seconds when using Firefox 2.0
> (Although the video still continues to download). I have no
> problem streaming them through Kaffeine except I get intermittent
> sound (ie sound for 15 seconds then nothing then maybe sound
> again after about a minute) .
> I had the same problem with Firefox 1.5.x under Dapper.
>
> When playing from the hard drive they play all the way through
> but with intermittent sound (see above).  This happens with both
> mplayer and xine based plugins and players.
>
> What steps could I be doing to troubleshoot this and does anyone
> know of a workaround that might address this issue?
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help people may be able to offer.
>
> Neil Blenkiron
> Melbourne, Australia

Looks like a Flash problem.  Strangely enough Adobe seems to update
their Flash9 beta without giving notice.  I had the same problem,
but after re-installing flashplayer it disappeared.  You can
download the latest and greatest player here :

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/

then copy the *.so file into your various plugins directories.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*** Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer ***
********* Running Linux (Kubuntu 6.10) *********