Movies and Sound freezes in Firefox

neil.linux neil.linux at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 11 08:49:27 GMT 2006

Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Monday 11 December 2006 03:39, neil.linux wrote:
>
>> <snipped>
>>
>> My problem is that embedded movies streamed over the Internet
>> freeze after the first 15 to 30 seconds when using Firefox 2.0
>> (Although the video still continues to download). I have no
>> problem streaming them through Kaffeine except I get intermittent
>> sound (ie sound for 15 seconds then nothing then maybe sound
>> again after about a minute) .
>> I had the same problem with Firefox 1.5.x under Dapper.
>>
>> When playing from the hard drive they play all the way through
>> but with intermittent sound (see above).  This happens with both
>> mplayer and xine based plugins and players.
>>
>> What steps could I be doing to troubleshoot this and does anyone
>> know of a workaround that might address this issue?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance for any help people may be able to offer.
>>
>> Neil Blenkiron
>> Melbourne, Australia
>>

> Looks like a Flash problem.  Strangely enough Adobe seems to update
> their Flash9 beta without giving notice.  I had the same problem,
> but after re-installing flashplayer it disappeared.  You can
> download the latest and greatest player here :
>
> http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/
>
> then copy the *.so file into your various plugins directories.
>
> Kaj Haulrich.

Thanks for the advice Kaj.

I updated Flash as suggested but still have the movie freezing. I
couldn't even play the advert before the short film at
http://www.atomfilms.com/film/punk_group_fat.jsp?mid=232889693 without
the video freezing. I Notice that flash animations on adverts in the
sidebar keep working.

Could the problem be in a config file for mplayer or a setting in
Firefox itself?

Neil Blenkiron
Melbourne, Australia