k3b permissions error

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Sat Dec 9 20:01:02 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 07/12/06, Paul Kaplan <pkaplan1 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I just tried to use k3b to recored a cdrom on Edgy and was met with a
>> permissions error for cdrecord.   The fix suggested in k3bsetup (using a
>> burning group) didn't work.
>>
>> What are the correct permissions and for which files.  Is this an installation
>> error?  (I never touched it until today.)
>>
>> Running kdesu k3b worked fine.
>>
>> Paul
>
> Paul, as much as I'm going to get flamed for this, I always run k3b as
> root. It's the only 100% sure way to avoid those permissions problems,
> and the discs are readable by regular users (they don't support unix
> file permissions).

You have to be careful there - I just recently did a backup of my girls
box and forgot to set the "Backup - preserve file permissions' and when
I went to restore everything (it was a clean install of Edgy) things
wouldn't run properly (KDE wouldn't start) because all the files,
including the important dot files, were 'read only'! I had to manually
fix all the permissions to what they should have been :-(

> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://technology-sleuth.com/short_answer/why_are_internet_greeting_cards_dangerous.html
> http://what-is-what.com/what_is/skype.html

Blessings,