us.archive.ubuntu.com down

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Fri Dec 8 16:15:08 UTC 2006

--- claydoh <claydoh at claydoh.com> wrote:

> On Friday 08 December 2006 10:40 am, Bry Melvin
> wrote:
> >
> > Just a thought here: That site is a US govt
> sponsored
> > server witha a heavy load. Kubuntu puts even a
> heavier
> > load. Watching my firewall one day I found that
> the
> > KDE   cd ripper accessed it every time it was
> started.
> > How many KDE apps have code in them to check for
> > updates on their own?
> >
> > Is it feasible that KDE is helping cause the
> problem?
> > does Argonne have a lmit to band with from
> different
> > sections.  I found that Argonne was being accessed
> > constantly by my computer for updates several
> times an
> > hour and put blocks in place, changed to another
> repo
> > for updates. It seems some KDE apps hit the
> servers on
> > their own based on the language/locale settings.
> >
> > Developers: is that the case?
> >
> > Bryann

> beta.
> > http://new.mail.yahoo.com
> The cd ripper isn't looking for updates, it is
> looking for cd track
> information via CDDB, and i think it checks for a
> connection when it starts
> up. This action can be turned off in its settings.
> --
> Clay Weber
> http://kubuntuforums.net
> http://claydoh.com
> http://emacdogsports.com

I don't believe Argonne hosts CDDB
Also it still did that with cddb turned off and
manually hitting CDDB showed a different address in
the firewall. and after blocking Argonne in the
firewall CDDB still worked. Although this could all be
explained by reidrects, It didn;t look that way.

This was in Breezy it may have been changed later. I
dont know.

After several Glitches with Gnomebaker AND K3b and the
questionable use of Codecs We changed to Commercial CD
software so now we don't have a potential codec
licensing problem. That problem would now be Nero's.

Bryann