Upgrades

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Fri Dec 8 16:02:16 UTC 2006

--- Hervé Fache <Herve at lucidia.net> wrote:

> There was once a problem with an X upgrade, but I
> doubt that will happen again.
>
> Updating is generally safe, and keeps your system
> patched for security
> issues as they are discovered.
>
> Hervé.
>
> On 12/8/06, Neil Winchurst
> <neil at holsdevon.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> > Using Kubuntu Edgy.
> >
> > Today I noticed that I had some upgrades waiting.
> When I looked there
> > were 47 files to be upgraded! I ran it in Adept
> and luckily I clicked on
> > Show Details because I had to accept a few things
> (I just chose OK each
> > time) and it all ran just fine. Everything seems
> to work as usual.
> >
> > It occurred to me to wonder - has anyone had any
> problems when
> > upgrading? Is it always safe to just go ahead and
> to it?
> >
> > Neil Winchurst
> >
> > --

Except for ONCE which was widely publicized the Ubuntu
updates have been pretty safe.
My experience for Kubuntu specific updates has not
been the case. In fact on Kubuntu we have found
something broken on our test machines EVERY time we
have updated.

We have reverted to using KDE apps and a default Gnome
desktop due to this on all production machines.
Actually though that creates conflicts that cuases KDE
to be marginally useful.

One other thing we found is that mixing command line
utilities and Kcontrol is bad. It creates a mess. We
had to manually go back in and re set up Samba by
editing the config files. Once that is done NEVER use
Kcontrol again to change SAMBA.

HPILP is an other problem area. the Ubuntu
repositories versions have a lot of missing
parts.(allin in one scanning functions hp device
manager and correct interaction with cups) We have had
to compile the full version and Never let them
updatefrom the repositories.ALSO NEVER use system
settings or Kcontrol to change printer settings once
this is fixed. We had a network printer server go down
because of this.

Bottom line is particulaly with KDE never trust an
update on a prduction machine until you test it on a
noncritical machine.

Reliablity is an Area Kubuntu is weak in for 6.06. If
Kubuntu is to keep pace sith UbuntuLTS versions for
business use someone needs to do a LOT more
certification tye testing.

We have found it useful to remove Kubuntu desktop
Ubuntu desktop meta packages and evaluate each update
individually. It seems to keep "just works" from
changing to "what the H happened"

Bryann