Root login

Grumpy_Penguin grumpypenguin at qwest.net
Fri Dec 8 14:59:32 UTC 2006

On Friday 08 December 2006 00:13, Raphaël Pinson wrote:
> Le Vendredi 8 Décembre 2006 01:31, Grumpy a écrit :
> > On Thursday 07 December 2006 17:11, James Gray wrote:
> > > Where sudo comes into its own is when you have a shared system with
> > > multiple admins.  Not all admins were created equal (sadly) and you
> > > probably don't want every admin having "full root" privileges.  By
> > > using "sudo" the more senior/experienced admins can limit the scope of
> > > the junior admins.  Like I said in the first paragraph, where there is
> > > only a single admin, the use of sudo is more a religious argument than
> > > a practical one.
> >
> > Which kind of misses the point as most of us are single
> > users/administrators the power users are not using Kubuntu anyway
>
> Do you have any sources to claim that?
> I work as a Linux sysadmin and I a vast majority of the sysadmins in my
> service (that I would consider as power users) run Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu
> on their desktop machine.
OK possibly they are so the built in un-newbie friendly features are
deliberate?
You have given arcane additions to the sudo command but still no compelling
reason why on a single administrator system sudo would be superior to su
If you are running a multiple administrator system [which sounds like a recipe
for disaster to me] then I can see the use of sudo  as necessary

> As of the server machines, we mostly have Debian sarge machines currently,
> and are in the process of switching them to sudo rights management, to
> refine the rights we can give to sysadmins, developers, marketting teams,
> etc.
You let marketing people near the / directory?  (shudders those people are
mostly windows types .....according to the BOFH) ;-)