update available or not?

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 8 19:04:33 GMT 2006

D. R. Evans wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> So on the one hand it seems to be telling me that updates are
> available, but when I try to install them, it refuses to do so
> (without telling me why).
>
> So I am afraid that I'm no closer to understanding what's going on
> than I was when the GUI tools behaved essentially the same way :-(
> (although I do at least know now where the packages are that are
> causing the trouble -- but I still don't know why apt won't install
> the packages.

Ahh, it's an "unofficial" repository, you have to expect some trouble
with them.
apt is holding the packages back because they require some other action,
like installing/removing other packages
Try doing a distribution upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and look at what packages are going to be installed/removed.
If some packages are still being held back, then try "sudo apt-get
install [package name]" to force apt tell you why it's not going to be
installed.
Maybe the updated package has a dependency that apt can't find, foe example.

Tez