new in kubuntu

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Thu Dec 7 20:12:28 UTC 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 20:11, Scott Mazur wrote:
> I think the comparison with home directory is missing the point.  If you
> need
> to see hidden files in home, it's as simple as selecting 'show hidden files'
> in the menu.  You can even make it your personal preference.
>
> However with the .hiddens file, you have no options to view or hide it
> anymore.

You have the same option as with the home directory. => 'show hidden files'.
It will work in the root directory too.

> Newbies may not care, but anyone who's spent any time at all in KDE
> is going to get a little concerned when the system directories appear to be
> missing or un-reachable.

True. But isn't that more an issue of education, and clearer docs.

> Myself, I like have the whole directory tree at my disposal.  If I need to
> drag files from one system folder to another, I can do that straight across
> the navigator panel.  I can't do that if the navigator panel is crippled.

But when was the last time that you did that considering that most (all?) of
the directories that are hidden are also only writable by root? In the last
week? month? year even?

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/