Root login

clay weber claydoh at claydoh.com
Thu Dec 7 14:03:11 UTC 2006

Raphaël Pinson wrote:
> On 12/7/06, *Renaud (Ron) Olgiati* <renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
> <mailto:renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Thursday 07 December 2006 08:00, my mailbox was graced by a missive
>     from Tez <binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
>     <mailto:binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk>> who wrote:
>
>     > I'm going to skip the whole "why you shouldn't log in as root"
>     part, as
>     > I assume you know all about that,
>
>     This, often heard as a quasi-religious injunction, is crap.
>
>     While loggin in as root has risks, ans should not be done for
>     every day
>     desktop use, there are sysadmin / netadmin tasks that can only be
>     done as
>     root.
>
>     Which is, I suppose, why root was invented in the first place  ;-3)
>

> While  it is a mere choice (which is not recommended) to use root
> login instead of sudo on Kubuntu, it is a really bad idea to login as
> root graphically, which is why login as root is disabled in kdmrc. You
> can access administrative sections of the settings with sudo on
> Kubuntu, aswell as login as root in a console if you really want to.
>
> Sysadmin/netadmin tasks don't usually require a graphical interface,
> and when they do, Kubuntu is set to provide an administrative
> interface with sudo, so you never need to login as root.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Raphaël Pinson - raphink at ichthux.com <mailto:raphink at ichthux.com>
> http://www.raphink.info
> Ichthux - http://www.ichthux.com - Linux for Christians
I also won't get into the why/why not/how-to, etc. Having happily used
sudo exclusively since shortly after switching distros to Hoary, I don't
see any reason for using root on my systems. I am not against it at all,
but I think for comparison and illustrative purposes it might be a good
thing for someone to list what they *cannot* do using sudo so users have
even more information and perhaps those items can be addressed. I
personally have not yet found anything that needs root in my day to day
use. A real sysadmin may need/want it and can do so easily, but that
does not mean sudo is bad. I think sudo was invented to improve and
enhance control over who can do various tasks from a catchall root
account, heck sudo and root work together as a sysadmin can grant
non-root users specific rights without giving them full access to the
system.

What I truly don't understand is the general reactions I see on this
subject as I don't see it as an earth-shattering difference between the
two ways, really.

Clay
http://claydoh.com
http://kubuntuforums.net