Where to get key A714EB87D1B1F415?

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Thu Dec 7 13:39:18 UTC 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 01:19, Michel D'HOOGE wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 December 2006 16:30, D. R. Evans wrote:
> > I am fairly paranoid about not installing unsigned packages
>
> Thanks for saying that because IMHO it seems to be a common behaviour that
> I think quite odd & risky! I explain:
>
> Indeed, why do you believe you are safer once you downloaded the public key
> of someone you don't know? As long as there is no "GPG trust path" between
> you and the guy providing the packages, nothing has changed.

Good point, except one thing.  A pgp key at least insures that you continue to
deal with the same person.  Even outside repositories and email, we did not
necessarily have a "trust path" for most people we deal with.  Trust evolves
over repeated dealings.  At some point we take a chance, then after a
positive course of experience, we develop trust.

There are people on mailing lists that I will never meet, nor have a trust
path connection.  However, I can see what they write over time and decide
whether or not to trust them.  Once I develop that trust, the pgp signature
insures that I am dealing with them.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @