Root login

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Thu Dec 7 11:29:36 UTC 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 08:00, my mailbox was graced by a missive
 from Tez <binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk> who wrote:

> I'm going to skip the whole "why you shouldn't log in as root" part, as
> I assume you know all about that,

This, often heard as a quasi-religious injunction, is crap.

While loggin in as root has risks, ans should not be done for every day
desktop use, there are sysadmin / netadmin tasks that can only be done as
root.

Which is, I suppose, why root was invented in the first place  ;-3)

> and just tell you how to do it.

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
           To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.
                                              -- George Mac Donald