Root login

Raphaël Pinson raphink at
Thu Dec 7 15:25:48 GMT 2006

On 12/7/06, Grumpy <grumpypenguin at> wrote:
> On Thursday 07 December 2006 07:47, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 December 2006 11:03, my mailbox was graced by a missive
> >
> >  from clay weber <claydoh at> who wrote:
> > > What I truly don't understand is the general reactions I see on this
> > > subject as I don't see it as an earth-shattering difference between
> the
> > > two ways, really.
> >
> > I see it as a strange schizophrenic turn of mind, on the one hand
> claiming
> > that (unlike those people at Redmont, whom we all love to hate) "Linux
> is
> > all about freedom of choice", and on the other hand telling us the same
> > time that "We are K/Ubuntu of Borg, resistance is futile, you shall not
> use
> > Root or su".

I'm just not sure you see the implication of choosing sudo as default
superuser layer in Ubuntu and derivatives.
A lot of programs (especially graphical ones) have been patched to use it by
default. Ubuntu/Kubuntu has been entirely rethought and patched to use sudo
instead of su. It's not that you don't have the choice to use su if you
prefer it, but it just goes against the entire logic of the distribution.

I'm totally fine with people using the root account and su, just as long as
su doen't get advised to newbies without proper information being given to
the way we aim superuser rights to be obtained in Ubuntu, which is by using
sudo. I care that newbies don't get turned to a solution that is not optimal
on Ubuntu (but is on other systems that have not been so heavily patched for
sudo) when they could learn about sudo from the beginning.

Raphaël Pinson - raphink at
Ichthux - - Linux for Christians