Kubuntu, first impressions.

Scott Mazur kubuntulists at littlefish.ca
Wed Dec 6 21:44:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 15:59:48 -0500 (EST), Jonathan Jesse wrote
> I disagree that we need a totally different wiki.  There are lots of
> pages that are not specific to Ubuntu or Kubuntu but are relevant.
>  For example all of the pages under LaptopTestingTeam/ should help
> out someone decide if their latpop is supported by (ED)(K)(X)ubuntu.
>  A large number of other documents deal with the underpining
> infrastructure that is the same whether or not you are running (K)(X)

Non-specific pages do not need to be included in both (nor should they).  I
suggest that the primary wiki will always be ubuntu as this is the distro and
that's where people will look (especially for non-specific pages).  It's the
kubuntu specific information that should reside in it's own wiki (if at all)
with plenty of references to return to the ubuntu wiki for more general
information.

> Ubuntu. I think the confusion and amount of work of having a totally
> separte wiki would outwiegh the difference between searching and
> receiving ubuntu specific information instead of Kubuntu specific
> inforamtion on the current wiki. I would vote against this idea personally

Fair enough.  I totally agree it's more work and complication, and maybe not
worth it.  But we should stop pretending to be a kubuntu wiki by applying a
kde theme.  Re-skinning an existing wiki is just plain wrong, bordering on fraud.

Scott

--
Registered Linux user #395249, http://counter.li.org
Nothing goes to waste when Little Fish are near!