Mounting of USB devices broken in Dapper? - SOLVED

Vayu vayu at sklinks.com
Tue Dec 5 02:59:07 UTC 2006

Is it the 18.2 versions that don't work? When looking in synaptic, it
shows I have 18.2 installed, can I just install 18.1 over that? What
about some of the other HAL libs that also show 18.2, do I have to track
down everything 18.2 and replace with 18.1?

I did a dist-upgrade to get those packages. After that my system would
lock up after 10 min. I played around with a bunch of stuff, finally got
it working (one of those I don't know what I did right times, possibly
unrelated beryl problem) except that the automount is now worse than before.

Before it wouldn't show an icon, but I could go to /media and see the
device there. If it was a memory card I could then right click to safely
remove, now the devices don't even appear in /media. Also the initial
dialog that would come up to open still comes up but closes and does
nothing when I click ok. lsusb shows the device, I don't know what to
check beyond that.

I have no access any more. What would be the /dev/?? to try to manually
mount?

$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0781:9219 SanDisk Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000