new computer

Lord Sauron lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 20:58:13 UTC 2006

Very cool.  I'm too cheap to have many many many computers.  I just
have my Desktop, my laptop, and my little iMac G3 (it's so nice...)
oh, and the server.  I know it's a lot, but I rationalize that I'm
allowed to since I'm a programmer and it's sort of my job.

On 12/4/06, Grumpy_Penguin <grumpypenguin at qwest.net> wrote:
> On Monday 04 December 2006 13:09, Lord Sauron wrote:

> > > Give me a real world example.
> > > I admit high end video processing will eat up a lot of RAM and processor
> > > time ...but my copy of mymia is still optimized for a 32 bit processor it
> > > runs somewhat faster on my 64 bit box [2.2 gig Athlon 64 X2 but not a lot
> >
> > Real world example?  Okay, you asked for it.
> >
> > Calculating fractals (higher precision is a huge help) and
> > high-precision computations (ie. running a calculator).  The
> > advantages of a 64-bit processor only really begin to kick in when you
> > start to use stuff like compilers, image editors, video processing,
> > and other things like that.  Basically it's just the stuff which
> > involves a bunch of numbers.  F/I, I used 64-bit technology to
> > increase my precision in calculating the values of Pascal's Triangle
> > by two (switching from a 32-bit integer to a 64-bit integer - I was
> > very happy with myself.)  True, the 64-bit integers still work on
> > 32-bit platforms, but:
> > o each addition/subtraction operation takes 2x as long
> > o each multiplication/division operation takes 4x as long
> >
> > I love 64-bit technology.  It's the coolest thing to me.  I love
> > reving up my Athlon 64, beating out some 64-bit code in KDevelop, and
> > watching it fly.  However, if you're just going to read your email and
> > browse the web, I'd go with something like a AMD Athlon64, not one of
> > the X2's.  The 64's are cheap, insanely effective, and they're not
> > prone to most of the problems that Intel chips are (my dad had to
> > write a CPU bugfix for a Intel Pentium II that would give numbers when
> > you divided by zero!).  In addition, if you go with some of the really
> > cool ultra-low profile, ultra-cool ITX/Nano ITX/Mini ATX boards/chips
> > they're coming out with, you can save a lot of power.  They're cool.
> > (no pun intended)
> yes I know I have a Mini ITX form factor box running puppy linux and sometimes
> dsl-linux
> >
> > --
> > ==  ==  7 | |\| µ Ж    6 µ |2 µ  ==  ==

==  ==  7 | |\| µ Ж    6 µ |2 µ  ==  ==