Kubuntu, first impressions.

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Sun Dec 3 23:13:25 UTC 2006

On Sunday 03 December 2006 12:33, my mailbox was graced by a missive
 from Ron Morse <rbmorse at comcast.net> who wrote:

> If you're determined to not like Kubuntu, I suppose there
> are any number of reasons you will find to not like it.

I am not determined to like or dislike Kubuntu, yet.

Just now I am trying to understand it so I can make up my mind.

As in any change, there are good and bad points; I am trying to understand
better the reasons behind some of those, because this will help me decide if
I can live with what I'm not used to for now, or not.

Earl Violet <ejviolet at yahoo.com>  wrote:

> > For instance, why mount partitions on /media/ instead of /mnt/ ?

> *buntu is Debian based and my Debian machine does this in 3.1 which
> is well over a year old.

I have been toying with Linux since Slackware 2.0, a looong time ago, and I
started using Mandrake as my only desktop OS some years back, in the days of
Mdk 6.1, whenever this was.

And I had never before met a /media/ mounting dir; must be a new thing.

"Raphaël Pinson" <raphink at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> You can read about Linux hierarchy
> standards on this page:  http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ ,

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

> I hope we can have a constructive talk on standards.

So do I.

 "Henri Girard" <henrigira at numericable.fr> who wrote:

> i didn't like sudo (and still don't like it) but they are so many
> advantages with kub that i forget this "backward"...

Thanks, I'll try to do the same.

Cheers,

Ron.
--