kubuntu desktop, win2003 server home dir's

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 08:15:51 UTC 2006

Hi,

Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:52, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
>>> We are attempting to convert our desktops to kubuntu and have a few
>>> remaining hurdles, one being Oracle Calendar, the other is that in
>>> windows all teh users of the various desktops are sharing space on teh
>>> server for their "my docs" While using samba we can set this up fairly
>>> seamlessly, but Open Office won't open or write to samba shares.
>>>
>>> Any advice on solving this issue?
>>>
>>> Mike
>> KDE and MS server 2003 is a tricky beast and one that works flawless in
>> Gnome Ubuntu. I had headaches with this too.
>>
>> In my experience there are 3 solutions;
>> 1 there is a security setting "somewhere" in MS 2003 server to change.
>> Never got that one working and not recommended
>
> Can't do this one, ms is insecure enough..
>
>> 2 for each user you can automount via a script the share in question;
>> mount -t cifs //ip-numberofserver/servershare /mount/validmountdir -o
>> username='validserverusername',password='passwordofsameuseronserver'
>> this works though it is a very crude solution. SMB protocol does not
>
> This does work although a little problematic, it needs tobe root to mount.
Sorry, forgot  sudo at the beginning...

> I am considering adding everyones /home directories to fstab and mounting them
> at boot, wouldn't that clean it up a bit?
Have never got that working am afraid though I did try. fstab and cifs
doesn't seem to like one another. I had to make a script and have it run
at login for each user.

>> 3 install the Gnome VFS + openoffice.org integration. works after that
>> but user will be asked for password 2-3 extra times
> Can't find this one, repository?
Just do synaptic or adept and search for vfs, you will them. They should
be in restricted.

If you go ubuntu-forums or kubuntu forums there are some threads re
this. Sadly it is a KDE problem, not really a "ubuntu" problem.

Sinclair